Our “PLAY Golf” program is designed to improve on already acquired golf skills and get kids playing in a weekly league. If your junior can competently play 9 holes from forward tees and shoot approximately 50 or less, by the rules, then this is the place for them! Students should now have a good understanding of the correct setup fundamentals and golf swing positions. We also expect they have the desire and motivation to take their game to the next level through practice and regular attendance. Players will have a weekly lesson and compete in an organized 9 hole Junior League that will enhance their skills, while learning about rules, etiquette, course management and sportsmanship. While safety and fun are always a focus, kids should also begin to enjoy the competitive aspect of the game.
For a junior to advance to the “PERFORMANCE TEAM”, they must demonstrate the ability to play a round in a predetermined number of strokes, be committed to practicing or playing 3 times per week, show interest in playing in local competitive junior events, and be selected by the coaches.
*2022 information is posted below as a reference. 2023 details will be announced in late January and registration will open in early February. Stay tuned!
Program Specifics for PLAY Golf
* 15 week program, twice per week (one extra week)
* One weekly 50 minute group lesson
* 16 weeks of Sawmill's Junior League (Sundays at 12pm - May 15 to August 28)
* Week 1: Monday, May 9 to Sunday, May 15
* Week 15: Monday, August 22 to Sunday, August 28
* BREAK WEEK: All sessions will take a break from Monday, July 25 to Sunday, July 31
* The player to coach ratio is 8:1
* The 9 hole Junior League is mostly team-based play (some individual) with tee times from 12-1:30pm. Prizes and food (pizza, burgers, hot dogs)
* Year end event on Sunday, September 4th: golf tournament, prizes and lunch
* Every player gets a Sawmill Junior Golf hat
*The following professionals will provide instruction for PLAY Golf:
**Brody Whetham, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a Master Kids Coach with US Kids Golf. Brody has 22 years of teaching experience and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach.
**Kevin Niznik, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a 4 time Alberta PGA Junior Leader Finalist. Kevin has been teaching for 17 years and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com)
*Please click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
2022 PLAY GOLF Sessions
*Tuesdays 7:20pm - 8:10pm (Coach Brody) - Jack M, Luca N, Adam E, Andrew E, Maximus S, Kiran R, Christian F, Thomas G (SOLD OUT!)
*Sundays 10:40am - 11:30am (Coach Kevin) Kellen P, Quinn R, Cole D, Joshua H, Ethan H, Jaxon P, Elijah L, Avrey (SOLD OUT!)
*Saturdays 10:30 - 11:20 (Coach Brody) - Ava R, Karson R, McKinley S, Anna F, Livia B, Maddy B, Claire B, Shirley C (SOLD OUT!)
Non-Member Price: $260 + HST = $293.80 (includes all lessons and league green fees on Sundays)
Sawmill Junior Member Price: $160 + HST = $180.80 (includes all lessons)
ONLINE REGISTRATION DETAILS
- Priority registration for returning players only opened on Thursday, February 10th at 8am. New players can register on Thursday, February 17th at 8am if space is available.
- Registrations will be received on a first come, first serve basis.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email upon successfully registering.
- Your child’s first name and last initial (eg. Billy S) will be posted next to the session that you signed up for. *The website will be updated as quickly as possible. Please don’t send an email within minutes of registering if you don’t see your child’s name!
- Please read our CANCELLATION POLICY before registering.
JUNIOR FITTING DAY
~ Saturday, April 2nd 11am - 12pm
~ In the clubhouse (we are set up for indoor golf!)
~ Check out new and used US Kids Golf clubs for sale
~ Get properly fit for US Kids Golf clubs
~ Junior apparel, hats, and shoes available
For more information about The Sawmill Junior Experience, please email Carrie.