Our “PLAY Golf” program is designed to improve on already acquired golf skills and get kids playing in a weekly league. If your junior can competently play 9 holes from forward tees and shoot approximately 50 or less, by the rules, then this is the place for them! Students should now have a good understanding of the correct setup fundamentals and golf swing positions. We also expect they have the desire and motivation to take their game to the next level through practice and regular attendance. Players will have a weekly lesson and compete in an organized 9 hole Junior League that will enhance their skills, while learning about rules, etiquette, course management and sportsmanship. While safety and fun are always a focus, kids should also begin to enjoy the competitive aspect of the game.
For a junior to advance to the “PERFORMANCE TEAM”, they must demonstrate the ability to play a round in a predetermined number of strokes, be committed to practicing or playing 3 times per week, show interest in playing in local competitive junior events, and be selected by the coaches.
Program Specifics for PLAY Golf
* 16 week program, twice per week
* One weekly 50 minute group lesson
* 16 weeks of Sawmill's Junior League (Sundays at 11:30am - May 14 to August 27)
* Week 1: Monday, May 8 to Sunday, May 14
* Week 15: Monday, August 21 to Sunday, August 27
* BREAK WEEK: All sessions will take a break from Monday, July 24 to Sunday, July 30
* The player to coach ratio is 8:1
* The 9 hole Junior League is mostly team-based play (some individual) with tee times from 11:30am to 1pm. Prizes and food (pizza, burgers, hot dogs) every week.
* Year end event on Sunday, September 3rd: golf tournament, prizes and lunch
* Every player gets a Sawmill Junior Golf hat
*The following professionals will provide instruction for PLAY Golf:
**Brody Whetham, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a Master Kids Coach with US Kids Golf. Brody has 22 years of teaching experience and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach.
**Kevin Niznik, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a 4 time Alberta PGA Junior Leader Finalist. Kevin has been teaching for 17 years and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com)
*Please click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
2023 available PLAY GOLF Sessions
*Mondays 4:40pm-5:30pm (Coach Brody) - Luca N, Christian F, Jaxon P, Caden J, Carson Mc, Josh A, Ashyon R - 1 spot available
*Saturdays 10:30am-11:20am (Coach Brody) - Anna F, Livia B, Ava R, Emma R, Shirley C, Bennett L, Ryan R, Jackson J - SOLD OUT!!
*Sundays 10:30am -11:20am (Coach Kevin) - Joshua H, Jack R, Jaxson H, Kellen P, McKenna S, Sinead S, Ethan H, Cole D, Thomas G - SOLD OUT!!
Cost: $270 + HST = $305.10 (includes all lessons and league green fees on Sundays)
2023 PLAY Golf Registration Details
- Priority registration for returning players only opens on Thursday, February 9th at 8am. New players can register on Monday, February 13th at 8am if space is available.
- Registrations will be received on a first come, first serve basis.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email upon successfully registering.
- Your child’s first name and last initial (eg. Billy S) will be posted next to the session that you signed up for. *The website will be updated as quickly as possible. Please don’t send an email within minutes of registering if you don’t see your child’s name!
- If you have any questions about TRY Golf registration, please email Carrie.
- Please read our CANCELLATION POLICY before registering. *Programs are NOT transferable or refundable!
Golf Clubs for PLAY Golf
Please contact Jeremy with club inquiries or to set up a club fitting.
For more information about The Sawmill Junior Experience, please email Carrie.