TRY Golf U9/U13
“TRY Golf U9/U13” program introduces beginners to the game at a basic level. If your child has never golfed before or has minimal experience (like the driving range, mini putt, etc) then this is the place for them!! Kids will participate in FUN team-based games that build skills and confidence! These games will develop fundamentals in putting, chipping, pitching and full swings. We’ll teach the basics of a proper setup (grip, stance, posture) and then work on balance and movement. We’ll also provide an overview of the game of golf, simple rules, and common etiquette. We aim to improve kids’ fitness and coordination while having fun and staying safe. The U9/U13 age groups will play the par 3 holes on our driving range.
For a child to advance to the “LEARN Golf” level, they must demonstrate a good understanding of the setup (like grip, stance, posture) and show enough competence in putting, chipping, and full swings to enable them to play a few holes on the course.
2023 TRY Golf U9/U13 Program Specifics
* 11 week program, twice per week
* One weekly 40 minute group lesson and playing on the par 3 holes.
* GAME DAY: Play Sawmill's par 3 course every Thursday night at 6pm (June 15 to August 24). Coach Kevin will organize the golf. Details will follow by email prior to the first game day.
* The player to coach ratio is 8:1
* Week 1: Monday, June 5 to Sunday, June 11
* Week 10: Monday, August 21 to Sunday, August 27
* BREAK WEEK: All sessions will take a break from Monday, July 24 to Sunday, July 30
* Two age divisions to ensure kids are learning with players of similar age and ability:
- U9 (2014/2015/2016)
- U13 (2011/2012/2013/2014)
**NOTE: If your child was born in 2016 and is not ready for U9 (twice a week, including playing par 3 holes), please register them in TRY Golf U7.
* Every player receives a Sawmill Junior Golf hat
~ Lessons take place on the driving range, short game practice area or putting green (schedule will be posted at the entrance/parking area)
~ The following coaches will provide professional instruction for TRY GOLF U9/U13:
**Brody Whetham, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a Master Kids Coach with US Kids Golf. Brody has 23 years of teaching experience and is one of Niagara's leading junior golf coaches. Brody is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com).
**Kevin Niznik, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a 4 time Alberta PGA Junior Leader Finalist. Kevin has been teaching for 18 years and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com).
**Kayla Burke, PGA of Canada Associate and recent graduate from Arkansas State University on a 4 year golf scholarship. Kayla is an accomplished NCAA D1 golfer, playing competitively since 7 years of age, and is thrilled to join Sawmill as the Girls Club Head Coach.
* Click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
2023 Available Sessions TRY GOLF U9, U13
~TRY GOLF U9 **MUST BE 7 to 9 years old (as of May 1st) to register for a U9 session
*Mondays 6:30pm-7:10pm (Coach Brody) - Chase B, Marlow S, Oliver A, Knox H, Aria L, Jordan H, Jordan W, Jessic-Jane W, Madden W - SOLD OUT!!
*Tuesdays 7:10pm-7:50pm (Coach Brody) - John D, Nash G, Briar G, Anna P, Anthony P, Hunter M, Jenna H Sofia S-C - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 5pm-5:40pm (Coach Kevin) - Jack B, Brooklyn W, Amelia C, Ashley R, Ethan M, Addison K, Ariah G, Hery Y - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 5:40pm-6:20pm GIRLS ONLY (Coach Kayla) - Johanna W, Emily F, Sydney T, Ella H, Karleigh V, Hailey M, Claire D, Rachel D - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 5:40pm-6:20pm (Coach Brody) - Zachary A, Blake W, Mason C, Jack L, Hayden H, Lavin T. Francesco C, Carter G - SOLD OUT!!
*Saturdays 10:20am-11am (Coach Kevin) - Aiden C, Alex W, Lukas K, Luke B, Austin F, Ethan M, Evan M, Jakob H - SOLD OUT!!
*Sundays 9:45am-10:25am (Coach Kevin) - Aidan B, Imogen I, Quinn H, Remy S, Alivia Mc, Clara Mc, Ava P, Callum V - SOLD OUT!!
~TRY GOLF U13 **MUST BE 9 years old (or older) as of May 1st to register for a U13 session
*Mondays 7:30pm-8:10pm GIRLS ONLY (Coach Kayla) - Callie O, Ellie O, Tessa V, Phoenix W, Brynlee F, Daphne F, Emma B, ??? Waldhuber - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 5:50pm-6:30pm (Coach Kevin) - Ryan J, Ethan St, Lucas M, Donnie C, Carson C, Carson J, Duncan S, Lincoln M - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 6:40-7:20pm (Coach Kevin) - Luca S, Jayda S, Casey B, Bailee B, Piper M, George W, Bryson L, Carter E - SOLD OUT!!
*Saturdays 8:40am-9:20am (Coach Brody) - Elizabeth C, Matteus C, Arabella L, Isabella L, Dominic G, Soochan, Jack V, Lyon H, Tamas H - SOLD OUT!!
~TRY GOLF U9/U13 age combo **MUST BE 8 years old (or older) as of May 1st to register for a COMBO session
*Tuesdays 5:30pm-6:10pm (Coach Brody) - Eli K, Jonah K, Eli L, David C, Quinten C, Declan D, Shine P, Barrend J-V - SOLD OUT!!
*Wednesdays 6:30pm-7:10pm GIRLS ONLY (Coach Kayla) - Grace H, Julia K, Charlotte J, Kelly K, Shue P, Ava B, Nexie P, Sery Y - SOLD OUT!!
*Saturdays 11:10am-11:50am (Coach Kevin) - Grayson B, Channing M, Adam T, Jenelle P, Sophie K, Georgie H, Charlie H, Jason Y - SOLD OUT!!
Cost: $180 + HST = $203.40 (includes all lessons and playing on the par 3 holes)
Unfortunately, all TRY U9/U13 sessions AND the waitlist are FULL for 2023.
2023 TRY Golf U9 / U13 REGISTRATION DETAILS
- Registrations will be received on a first come, first serve basis.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email upon successfully registering.
- Your child’s first name and last initial (eg. Billy S) will be posted next to the session that you signed up for. *The website will be updated as quickly as possible. Please don’t send an email within minutes of registering if you don’t see your child’s name!
- If you have any questions about TRY Golf registration, please email Carrie.
- Please read our CANCELLATION POLICY before registering. *Programs are NOT transferable or refundable!
2023 JUNIOR FITTING DAY
~ Saturday, April 15th TRY Golf U9 / U13 10am to 11am (in the clubhouse)
~ pick up your hat (included in registration) and check out golf gloves, golf shoes, and kids clothing
~ Check out new and used US Kids Golf clubs for sale
~ Get properly fit for US Kids Golf clubs
~ Junior apparel, hats, and shoes available
For more information about The Sawmill Junior Experience, please email Carrie.