TRY Golf U9/U13
“TRY Golf U9/U13” program introduces beginners to the game at a basic level. If your child has never golfed before or has minimal experience (like the driving range, mini putt, etc) then this is the place for them!! Kids will participate in FUN team-based games that build skills and confidence! These games will develop fundamentals in putting, chipping, pitching and full swings. We’ll teach the basics of a proper setup (grip, stance, posture) and then work on balance and movement. We’ll also provide an overview of the game of golf, simple rules, and common etiquette. We aim to improve kids’ fitness and coordination while having fun and staying safe. The U9/U13 age groups will play the par 3 holes on our driving range.
For a child to advance to the “LEARN Golf” level, they must demonstrate a good understanding of the setup (like grip, stance, posture) and show enough competence in putting, chipping, and full swings to enable them to play a few holes on the course.
*2022 information is posted below as a reference. 2023 details will be announced in late January and registration will open in early February. Stay tuned!
2022 TRY Golf U9/U13 Program Specifics
* 11 week program, twice per week
* One weekly 40 minute group lesson and playing on the par 3 holes.
* GAME DAY: Play Sawmill's par 3 course every Thursday night at 6pm (June 16 to August 25). Kevin will organize the golf. Details will follow by email prior to the first game day.
* The player to coach ratio is 8:1
* Week 1: Monday, June 6 to Sunday, June 12
* Week 10: Monday, August 22 to Sunday, August 28
* BREAK WEEK: All sessions will take a break from Monday, July 25 to Sunday, July 31
* Two age divisions to ensure kids are learning with players of similar age and ability:
- U9 (2014/2015/2016)
- U13 (2010/2011/2012/2013)
**NOTE: If your child was born in 2016 and is not ready for U9 (twice a week, including playing par 3 holes), please register them in TRY Golf U6.
* Every player receives a Sawmill Junior Golf hat
~ Lessons take place on the driving range, short game practice area or putting green (schedule will be posted at the entrance/parking area)
~ The following coaches will provide professional instruction for TRY GOLF U9/U13:
**Brody Whetham, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a Master Kids Coach with US Kids Golf. Brody has 22 years of teaching experience and is one of Niagara's leading junior golf coaches. Brody is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com).
**Kevin Niznik, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a 4 time Alberta PGA Junior Leader Finalist. Kevin has been teaching for 17 years and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com).
**Emily Zwier is our Girls Club coach. Emily is an elementary school teacher and an accomplished amateur golfer making her the perfect choice to teach girls in NIagara. She makes golf fun while teaching the game's fundamentals. GIRL POWER!!!
* Click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
2022 Available Sessions TRY GOLF U9, U13 & GIRLS CLUB
~TRY GOLF U9 **MUST BE 6 to 9 years old (as of May 1st) to register for a U9 session
*Mondays 6:30pm - 7:10pm, (Coach Brody) - Jack B, Marlowe S, Gabriel Mc, Carter R, Camden R, Imogen I, Haily M, Mila P (SOLD OUT!)
*Tuesdays 5:40pm - 6:20pm, (Coach Brody) - Emmitt N, Bryce B, Callum V, Oliver A, Jonah K, Elijah K, Hugh A, Chase B (SOLD OUT!)
*Wednesdays 5:40pm - 6:20pm, (Coach Brody) - Nora S, Paisley D, Zachary A, Sawyer St, Aaron F, Mason C, Blake B, Brady R (SOLD OUT!)
*Saturdays 10:20am - 11:00am, (Coach Kevin) - Avery R, Lukas K, Victoria P, Everett Mc, Ella H, Alex W, Avi J, Adele G (SOLD OUT!)
*Sundays 9:50am - 10:30am, (Coach Kevin) - Carter Mc, Quinten C, Francesco C, Alec S, Julia K, Lavin T, Makenna R, Hudson R (SOLD OUT!)
~TRY GOLF U13 **MUST BE 9 years old (or older) as of May 1st to register for a U13 session
*Tuesdays 6:30pm - 7:10pm, (Coach Brody) - Benjamin F, Theo V, George W, Jayda S, Luca S, Luc L, Lucas P, Hunter S (SOLD OUT!)
~TRY GOLF U9/U13 age combo **MUST BE 8 years old (or older) as of May 1st to register for a COMBO session
*Mondays 4:40pm - 5:20pm, (Coach Brody) - Madeline C, Kaitlyn C, Aiden C, Ethan K, Trevor K, Jack L, Kent B, Will B (SOLD OUT!)
*Wednesdays 6:40pm - 7:20pm, (Coach Kevin) - Nate J, Alexis V, Micaela H, Quinn H, Max B, Ava B, Quinlynn C, Everleigh C (SOLD OUT!)
*Saturdays 11:10am - 11:50am, (Coach Kevin) - Liam S, Brayden B, Damon T, Adam T, Tristan B, Grayson B, Nora B, Mykaela B (SOLD OUT!)
*U13 Mondays 7:20pm - 8:00pm, (Coach Brody) - Brooklyn G, Myla B, Reese B, Arabella L, Isabelle L, Elizabeth C, Gabrielle K, Adalyn L (SOLD OUT!)
*U9 Wednesdays 4:40pm - 5:20pm, (Coach Emily) - Sophie K, Emily F, Tory R, Vera P, Johanna W, Tessa L, Karleigh V, Charlotte K (SOLD OUT!)
*U9/U13 combo Wednesdays 6:30pm - 7:10pm, (Coach Emily) - Paityn H, Annika P, Brooklyn W, Bailee B, Casey B, Brynlee F, Daphnee F, Laine-Marie (SOLD OUT!)
Cost: $170 + HST = $192.10 (includes all lessons and playing on the par 3 holes)
ONLINE REGISTRATION DETAILS
- Registrations will be received on a first come, first serve basis.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email upon successfully registering.
- Your child’s first name and last initial (eg. Billy S) will be posted next to the session that you signed up for. *The website will be updated as quickly as possible. Please don’t send an email within minutes of registering if you don’t see your child’s name!
- Please read our CANCELLATION POLICY before registering.
JUNIOR FITTING DAY
~ Saturday, April 2nd 10am - 11am
~ In the clubhouse (we are set up for indoor golf!)
~ Check out new and used US Kids Golf clubs for sale
~ Get properly fit for US Kids Golf clubs
~ Junior apparel, hats, and shoes available
For more information about The Sawmill Junior Experience, please email Carrie.