TRY Golf U7
“TRY Golf U7” program introduces beginners to the game at a basic level. If your child has never golfed before or has minimal experience (like the driving range, mini putt, etc) then this is the place for them!! Kids will participate in FUN team-based games that build skills and confidence! These games will develop fundamentals in putting, chipping, pitching and full swings. We’ll teach the basics of a proper setup (grip, stance, posture) and then work on balance and movement. We’ll also provide an overview of the game of golf, simple rules, and common etiquette. We aim to improve kids’ fitness and coordination while having fun and staying safe.
For a child to advance to the “TRY Golf U9/U13” level, they must demonstrate a reasonable understanding of the setup (like grip, stance, posture) and show some competence in putting, chipping, and full swings.
2023 TRY Golf U7 Program Specifics
* 11 week program, one 40 minute lesson each week
* Week 1: Monday, June 5 to Sunday, June 11
* Week 10: Monday, August 21 to Sunday, August 27
* BREAK WEEK: All sessions will take a break from Monday, July 24 to Sunday, July 30
* One age division to ensure kids are learning with players of similar age and ability:
- U7 (2018/207) *Kids must be 5 years old on May 1st to participate.
**NOTE: If your child was born in 2016 and is not ready for TRY Golf U9 (twice a week including playing par 3 holes), please register them in U7.
* Every player receives a Sawmill Junior Golf hat
* The player to coach ratio is 8:1 (with junior members and parent volunteers assisting)
* Lessons take place on the driving range, short game practice area or putting green (schedule will be posted at the entrance/parking area)
* The following coaches will provide professional instruction for TRY GOLF U7:
**Brody Whetham, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a Master Kids Coach with US Kids Golf. Brody has 23 years of teaching experience and is one of Niagara's leading junior golf coaches. Brody is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com)
**Kevin Niznik, PGA of Canada Class A Professional and a 4 time Alberta PGA Junior Leader Finalist. Kevin has been teaching for 18 years and is a US Kids Golf Certified Coach (uskidsgolf.com).
**Kayla Burke, PGA of Canada Associate and recent graduate from Arkansas State University on a 4 year golf scholarship. Kayla is an accomplished NCAA D1 golfer, playing competitively since 7 years of age, and is thrilled to join Sawmill as the Girls Club Head Coach.
* Click here for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
2023 Available Sessions TRY Golf U7
*Mondays 5:40pm-6:20pm (Coach Brody) - Ryker B, Reece W, Calvert S, Jameson S, Jalen M, Arileus R, Eamonn C, Hudson S - SOLD OUT!!
*Tuesdays 6:20pm-7pm (Coach Brody)
*Tuesdays 7pm-7:40pm (Coach Kevin) -
*Wednesdays 4:40pm-5:20pm GIRLS CLUB (Coach Kayla) - Penelope S, Marko S, Addilyn Z, Charlotte H, Clara H - 3 spots left
*Wednesdays 4:50pm - 5:30pm (Coach Brody) - Dominic C, Lucas K, Xavier W - 5 spots left
*Thursdays 6:40pm - 7:20pm (Coach Kevin) - Oliver C - 7 spots left
*Saturdays 9:30am - 10:10am (Coach Kevin) - Dean H, Everly O, Hailey M, Cesio M, Nicholas K, Jack D, Myles G, Ryan W - SOLD OUT!!
*Sundays 9am - 9:40am (Coach Kevin) - Palmer S, Julie T, Elias I, Austin O, Leia P - 3 spots left
Cost: $130 + HST = $146.90 (includes all lessons)
2023 TRY Golf U7 Registration Details
- Priority registration for returning players only opens on Monday, February 6th at 8am. New players can register on Monday, February 13th at 8am if space is available.
- Registrations will be received on a first come, first serve basis.
- You will receive an automated confirmation email upon successfully registering.
- Your child’s first name and last initial (eg. Billy S) will be posted next to the session that you signed up for. *The website will be updated as quickly as possible. Please don’t send an email within minutes of registering if you don’t see your child’s name!
- If you have any questions about TRY Golf registration, please email Carrie.
- Please read our CANCELLATION POLICY before registering. Programs are NOT transferable or refundable!
2023 Junior Fitting Day
~ Saturday, April 15th TRY Golf U7 9am to 10pm (in the clubhouse)
~ pick up your hat (included in registration) and check out golf gloves, golf shoes, and kids clothing
~ Check out new and used US Kids Golf clubs for sale
~ Get properly fit for US Kids Golf clubs
~ Junior apparel, hats, and shoes available
For more information about The Sawmill Junior Experience, please email Carrie.